On April 9, 2019, Lonny will present at the Osgoode 2019 Legal Guide to Privacy & Information Management in Healthcare on Disclosing Personal Health Information in Proceedings: If, How and When? This session will include:
- Review of PHIPA provisions that permit disclosure of PHI in proceedings: when and under what circumstances?
- Obligations and limitations of the parties in various proceedings to disclose PHI including in civil litigation and family law matters and WSIB complaints
- Interplay of the Mental Health Act and PHIPA with respect to proceedings involving a patient in a psychiatric facility
- Analysis of issues counsel may face in disclosing PHI
- Review of recent case law where PHI records were sought & the outcomes: professional regulation, medical malpractice, tort law, labour law, class actions